The ACS 2012-2016 Faculty Advancement Program is closing. Current grantees should use the information below to complete their reporting duties to ACS by January 29, 2017.
Important Submission and Reporting Deadlines – 2015-16
(submit all materials as single Word documents to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pre-proposals due September 18, 2015
- Full proposals due November 13, 2015
- Interim reports due May 20, 2016
- Final reports due January 29, 2017 or 30 days after the close of the project; extensions will be granted only in unusual circumstances (serious illness, family emergency, etc.).
Faculty Grant Project Funding
Up to $2,500 for individual initiatives (single faculty Principal Investigator [“PI”])
Up to $5,000 for intra-campus group initiatives (two or more faculty participants on the same campus, with one PI or co-PIs)
Up to $15,000 for cross-institutional initiatives (two or more participating ACS institutions, with co-PIs from different campuses)
Up to $100,000 for the creation of virtual inter-institutional academic departments or fully online programs
- Read the sections Full Proposal Stage and Responsibilities of Grant Recipients below. These will help you prepare for the grant process.
- Write a pre-proposal narrative in which you describe the general features of your project in 250-500 words.
- Prepare a brief budget.
- Please name your submission using the following convention “Pre-proposal 2015 [your name and institution].”
- Submit the pre-proposal narrative and budget as a single Word document to email@example.com by September 18, 2015.
- You may submit multiple pre-proposals, but only one full proposal will be funded per PI.
- Our review committee will respond indicating whether a full proposal may be submitted.
Full Proposal Stage
After receiving your invitation to submit a full proposal, please submit the following items as a single Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org (email@example.com) by November 13, 2015. Please include the following in the subject line: “FA Grant 2015 [your name and institution].”
- Cover Page with the following items:
- FA Grant 2015
- Principal investigator(s) and home institution(s)
- Title of the project
- Proposal Narrative (maximum 5 pages, double-spaced)
- Introduction: summarize the nature and scope of the project, the goals and anticipated outcomes, and the justification for undertaking the project.
- Activities: what will you undertake and how will you do it?
- Timetables: the overall time period of the project as well as specific timeframes for each major grant supported activity. The proposed schedule should allow for submission of the final report by January 29, 2017.
- Evaluation: how will you assess your project?
- Dissemination: how will project results be disseminated for use as a possible model for others?
- Budget (maximum 1 page with justification for each line item)
- Funds may not be spent on food or alcohol
- Up to 40% of the total budget may be spent on salaries
- Contact Information
- Name of a single reporting PI who will serve as ACS’s primary point of contact and will hold final responsibility for the submission of all reports and budgets
- Name(s), titles, departments, mailing address(es), telephone number(s), and email address(es) of faculty submitting the request
- One page (max) letter of support from the academic dean for each PI
- Curriculum vitae for each faculty participant
- Disclosure statement in which applicants describe any other current financial support for the project that will coincide with the timetable of the proposal
Preference Among Grant Requests
Preference will be given to proposals that advance the following:
- Inter-institutional collaboration
- Online or technology-enhanced pedagogy
- Diversity and inclusion
- Ability to generate matching funds for the project
A Grant Review Committee will be made up of academic deans and faculty from ACS institutions. Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decisions by December 11, 2015.
Responsibilities of Grant Recipients
- Interim Report (maximum 2 pp.)
- Your interim report should briefly summarize progress toward and/or accomplishments of your activities with specific attention to the goals stated in your proposal.
- Due May 20, 2016. Email your report to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Final Narrative Report and Financial Statement (3-5 pp.) Email your report to email@example.com
- The final report and financial statement must be received at ACS no later than January 29, 2017 (or 30 days after the close of the program), along with any unspent funds. Failure to submit the final report and financial statement by the deadline could impact your institution’s ability to garner funds in the future.
- The final narrative report should 1) state how project goals were met and 2) provide the dissemination plan for the project.
- The final financial statement must include an expense budget with receipts and be submitted under the signature of your institution’s grant or financial officer.
- Evaluation of Faculty Grants via a survey that will help ACS assess and refine the application and award process and assist in an overall evaluation of the total grant. Survey information TBA